By Dr. Josh Axe
Everybody loves a twist on a classic, including at holiday time. Even better would be a healthy twist on this dessert favorite. My gluten-free pecan pie balls recipe pleases traditional pecan pie fans as well as those looking to improve their eating habits.
These no-bake pecan balls are very easy to make, with just seven ingredients and only requiring mixing, shaping and refrigerating. The not-so-secret is Bone Broth Collagen Vanilla, which powers these pecan pie balls with protein. (You can also use Multi Collagen Protein Vanilla.)
In fact, each "energy ball" is a perfect macronutrient snack, with 10 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein.
How to Make Pecan Balls
- 1¼ cups pecans
- 4 scoops Bone Broth Collagen Vanilla (or 4 servings Multi Collagen Protein Vanilla)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dates, halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place pecans in a food processor and pulse until in fine pieces.
- Add protein powder and sea salt, pulsing until well combined.
- Add dates, honey, oil and vanilla, and process until combined and sticky.
- Form into ball shapes and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Place pecans in a food processor and pulse until in fine pieces. Next, add in the protein powder and sea salt, pulsing until well combined.
Halve and pit the dates, then melt the coconut oil in a small pan. Add the dates, honey, coconut oil and vanilla to the mixture. Process until combined and sticky.
Scrap the mixture out of the food processor onto a wooden cutting board. Form into 14 balls. Place them on a plate and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CNS, is co-founder of Ancient Nutrition and founder of DrAxe.com, and author of the best-selling books Keto Diet and The Collagen Diet and his new book Ancient Remedies.