By Dr. Josh Axe
Often I'm not a big breakfast eater but instead prefer to drink a smoothie. This morning smoothie is one of my go-to's, as it's loaded with nutrition and powered by Bone Broth Collagen Chocolate as well as Multi Collagen Protein.
With the coconut or almond milk, it's also creamy and frothy. With the cherries, goji berry powder and pumpkin pie spice, it's loaded with flavour. Meanwhile, the hemp seeds give it a great texture. Oh, and the chocolate from the Bone Broth Collagen lends that sweet-but-not-too-sweet kick I love in the morning!
This health-minded collagen smoothie contains nutrient-filled, antioxidant-rich ingredients that will keep you satisfied, while fitting into your healthy diet perfectly. Here’s a look at the top ingredients:
Bone Broth Collagen powder: The powerhouse ingredient in this delicious smoothie is our Bone Broth Collagen Chocolate. Featuring naturally occurring type II collagen, it delivers the benefits of traditional bone broth in a sweet, feel-good flavour.
Multi Collagen Protein powder: With three sources of collagen and three types of collagen.
Almond milk: This versatile alternative to cow’s milk is great for those following a dairy-free diet. The majority of its calories from beneficial fats. (Coconut milk is also a great alternative, full of MCT fats.)
Cherries: Cherries are rich in antioxidants and they’ve been shown to possess anti-inflammatory activity. They are perfectly sweet, but lower in calories, so they’re a useful and delicious ingredient in any bone broth collagen smoothie.
Goji berry powder: This amazing fruit is loaded with antioxidants (including Vitamin C). I consider it the most beneficial superfruit in the world.
Hemp seeds: Hemp hearts are an excellent source of nutrients, especially unsaturated fatty acids and essential amino acids.Pumpkin pie spice: Comes with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove, all antioxidant-rich spices.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 407
- Total Carbohydrates: 44.2 grams
- Fiber: 4.1 grams
- Sugar: 32.1 grams (from the cherries)
- Total Fat: 10.4 grams
- Protein: 39.2 grams
- Cholesterol: 24 milligrams
- Potassium: 904 milligrams (26% DV)
- Calcium: 328 milligrams (33% DV)
- Sodium: 298 milligrams (12% DV)
- Calcium: 328 milligrams (28% DV)
- Iron: 4.6 milligrams (26% DV)
- Vitamin A: 2237 IU (96% DV)
- Vitamin C: 78 milligrams (130% DV)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2000 calories a day.
How to Make Dr. Axe's Go-To Morning Smoothie
Meal Type: Beverages, Breakfasts, Snacks
Diet Type: Paleo, Gluten-Free
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 cup frozen cherries (or mixed berries)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (or chia or flax)
- 1 scoop Bone Broth Collagen Chocolate
- 1 scoop Multi Collagen Protein
- 1 tablespoon goji berry (or pomegranate) powder
- pinch of pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- Place all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and purée until smooth.
- Add more almond milk to blend as necessary.